Sunday, August 17, 2008

Embrace the conceit

Peer pressure and the non-blogger

A 28-year-old mother of three, Helen, started her first blog today. The blog is unique in its writing style and will be used as a creativity tool for the author.

“I have a passion for news writing,” Helen states, “I got my degree in journalism and I miss using my skills as a writer. This blog is an opportunity for me to practice writing and to receive valuable feedback from my viewers.”

“When I pitched the idea to my husband, Bob, he was very supportive,” Helen states, “He likes that I am writing again and that I am forcing myself to be creative. Viewers might even see an article of his on the blog.”

“I think it’s great that she has finally found an outlet for her writing,” Bob states, “I’m excited that she’s challenging herself to write the articles. I have been trying to get her to do freelance writing since she quit her job. But she doesn’t think she is a very good writer anymore. This blog will be very useful for her and will help her to regain all the skills she thinks she’s lost.”

Each blog entry will be written in a journalistic format which will require Helen to occasionally write in the third person.

“The style I write in will take some getting used to for most of my viewers, but I think that once they grasp the idea, they will find it refreshing,” says Helen.

Helen attributes peer pressure from friends as motivation to consider a blog. “I have several blogging friends that apparently have a vested interest in me starting a blog so they can keep up-to-date with my family,” she says, “But I didn’t want my blog to be a place for me to spill my innermost thoughts, I wanted it to be something that I could use for my benefit when I apply to graduate school or go back to work.”

“This blog represents part of who I am and how I view the world,” Helen states, “When I see something amazing or hear something funny I automatically think of a great headline to report the event. Now I can use those headlines and write articles for my viewers to enjoy.”

Helen graduated from a large state university in 2004 with her Bachelor of Science in Journalism. She has worked for the American Red Cross, the U.S.D.A. and the FPA. Currently, she stays home to care for her children.

8 comments:

ladyshanae said...

Oooooh Helen! *giggles* This should be so fun! I can't wait to read more and get your points of view on lots of different and exciting topics.

And the fun thing? I already learned a few new things about you! Love it!!!

Cindy said...

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

Alisha said...

I already feel refreshed reading your writing. I fully embrace your style and wish I was half as creative as you are.

I think you should have used Homer, Marge, Lisa, Bart & Maggie. I'll get over it though.

Alicia said...

Hey, Helen! (tee hee) I look forward to all your wonderful future blogs. :)

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the blogosphere, Helen!

brenda said...

HELEN!!!! i love that you've started a blog. i think you're a great writer and i'm really looking forward to more posts. i'd LOVE to have you write a post on the political world at the moment. maybe Bob could put in his two cents as well. :)

seriously - i couldn't be happier to see you've started blogging!

Author said...

Thanks for the warm reception! I honestly love reading all of your blogs and sincerely look forward to stalking you in the future.

Brenda, I am actually trying to figure out the best angle for my political post. I've been sitting on it for a week or so. I have a rough draft but it is missing something. Stay tuned.

Sweet Cherie said...

Its so fun seeing what people are up to. I love reading the blogs of friends and family. One of my friends just did a post about blogging that is funny. Check it out at http://lifegoesbyprettyfast.blogspot.com/2008/09/life-is-such-sweet-insanity.html Welcome to the wonderful world of blogging!