The American people have a tough choice to make over the next eight weeks as presidential nominees, Sen. Barack Obama (D) and Sen. John McCain (R), campaign heavily for their votes.
Both parties closed their national conventions on high notes and their supporters gained more insight into the political ideologies and personal beliefs of the candidates themselves. Each candidate asked independent voters for their support and offered their political agendas as reasons to join in their efforts.
One independent voter, Helen, said watching both conventions helped make her decision.
“I have listened to what both sides have to say and I feel like I have a good understanding of why voters would vote for either,” says Helen. “I understand the draw to McCain, he is an American hero and I believe he would be a fine president. I have no doubt that he loves his country, that he is a respectable man and probably a really nice guy. I’m not sold on Palin, no one really knows anything about her and I have a problem with that. But, my heart is with the Obama-Biden ticket.”
Though raised in a predominantly republican state, Helen says she struggles with some of the republican agenda.
“I strongly oppose abortion, but also strongly oppose a government that tells any woman what to do with her body. I believe that marriage is between a man and a woman, but also think that homosexuals can love just as deeply as I can and that they should have the right to take care of their loved ones despite their sexual preference. I believe that there are terrorists in the world that want to destroy my beautiful country and am extremely disappointed that the pursuit of the extremist who actually has attacked our country was put on the back-burner so that a cowboy from Texas could flex his muscles by invading a completely unrelated country. And I am terrified of being alone as a country in this big world thanks to the many international ties that have been broken by our current administration,” she said.
Helen concedes her choice is not solely based on political party agendas.
“I have always felt cheated that I wasn’t alive when John F. Kennedy and Martin Luther King Jr. were here. When I read or listen to their speeches today, I am moved to tears and hope fills my heart. They were able to rally the masses simply through their words,” she says. “My husband, Bob, and I have talked on several occasions about how great it would be to have a president that could inspire people when they spoke. And then came along Barack Obama. He understands my struggles and what my heart’s desires are for my family. He gives me hope. He inspires me to be a better citizen in my community, a better neighbor and a better person. He can rally the masses and shake the world.”
During the republican national convention numerous remarks were made by all the major party figures about Obama’s public speaking ability. Republican leaders insist that “actions speak louder than words” and that Obama cannot change the problems in this country by simply speaking about them. Helen disapproves of such attacks.
“They openly mocked me, a voter, for finding hope in his words,” says Helen, “He is not the first, and, hopefully, he will not be the last great leader that has the ability to rally the masses with his words. Even if, in the end, nothing gets fixed and everything is still in shambles, I am able to believe for the first time in my adult life that there is hope for a better tomorrow and that change can really happen.”
16 years ago
2 comments:
I must admit that my two sources for news are 1) NPR and 2) WTOP. I know that I should read and learn more but I just can't get enough of Steve Inskeep.
Having said that, I appreciate other reports on the election, especially those from "The Daily Show." You can never read too much because it will only increase or clarify your understanding on the subject.
I am impressed that you watched both conventions in full. You may be the only person I know who accomplished such a feat.
I mentioned last night that Pallin would we speaking at Fairfax High School on Wednesday. It turns out she isn't the only one, McCain will be there too. Whew, I wasn't sure if it was really the Pallin - McCain ticket or vice versus.
My beef with the pro-choice movement is that they only seem to embrace the choice of abortion -- not the choice to have the baby. The National Organization for Women is misleading because they don't advocate all of the choices that women make.
Alas, I was alive to hear (not in person, but on the black and white t.v.) John F. Kennedy and Martin Luther King. I think being inspired is a valid reason to support a Presidential candidate, whether you are 100% on board with all of his/her issues or not.
You write a really good blog -- very thought provoking.
Post a Comment