Thursday, August 28, 2008

Observation finds common childhood virus alters personality

The roseola virus came under attack today by a young mother claiming the virus altered her baby’s personality.

Eleven-month-old Maggie was diagnosed this afternoon with roseola after a phone consultation with the infant’s doctor’s office.

“She woke up Sunday morning with a fever of 103 degrees,” the mother, Helen, stated. “Tuesday morning the fever was only 100.5 but she was screaming like she was in pain so I called the doctor and got an appointment. I figured it was an ear infection and that we could get antibiotics and she would feel better. There were no visible signs of infection so they did two blood cultures on her little arms and put a catheter in to do a urinalysis. It was horrible to put her through all that when she was already so sick.”

The doctor initially diagnosed Maggie with a viral infection and recommended Tylenol for discomfort while her little body fought off the infection. Wednesday morning, Maggie’s face, chest, back, neck and bottom were covered with a rash.


“I knew that I had seen a picture of a rash similar to her’s on a poster in the doctor’s office, and I knew that it was not a heat rash. She was in so much pain, I couldn’t get her to stop screaming, so I called the doctor again,” Helen said. “I described the rash to the nurse and told her about the previous symptoms and she confidently diagnosed Maggie with roseola. Her symptoms were textbook.”

According to WebMD, “roseola (roseola infantum) is a mild illness caused by a virus. It is generally harmless and is most common in children 6 months to 2 years of age. Roseola often starts with a sudden high fever [103 F to 105 F] that lasts 2 to 3 days, although it can last up to 8 days.

“After the fever ends, a rosy-pink rash may appear over your child's entire body, starting on the torso and spreading to the face, neck, and arms… A child with roseola may appear fussy or irritable and may have a decreased appetite, but most children behave almost normally.”

Helen claims that her daughter does not “appear fussy or irritable,” but that her personality has been severely altered by the virus.

“She has not been the same little girl since she got sick,” she said, “My sweet, happy baby has screamed consistently for two days. There have been short moments of peace when she is distracted from her discomfort, but they are very short. The nurse said the rash will fade within three to four days and hopefully she will be her happy self again. I just want all of this to be over and to have my baby back.”

6 comments:

Anne-Marie said...

that is so sad! poor baby! I hope you all feel better soon!

Alicia said...

Ben had roseola when he was young too. Thank goodness it's nothing serious, but I am surprised your doctor did a urinalysis and blood testing...that seems a little extreme for one so young. Well, hopefully she's more comfortable now. Good luck!

brenda said...

they did a urinalysis and blood testing? did it turn out positive for roseola? when noah had it, he got the fever and then a wicked rash all over his torso... but it never bothered him. maggie sounds so miserable. :( did dorothy or buzz ever get it? were they this bad?

Anonymous said...

I really, really like your blog-style, Miss Helen.

Talai said...

What a debut! I had no idea you had such a creative side. Poor little girl. I hope she does get back to her old self.

Author said...

I am so glad that all of you think it is weird that all those tests were run on her too!

I kept asking if it was really necessary but they said that since they couldn't see anything and she was obviously not happy that they needed to rule everything out.

Had I known that I just needed to wait for another day and then the rash would have started and the nurse could diagnose it over the phone then I would have toughed it out for another night.

But, at least she is better now and she won't get it again! Wohoo!